Thursday, October 28, 2010

State of The Planet By Robert Hass...

The first time I read this poem I did not understand it very well at all. This poem is a great of example of why it is important to reread some things and also look up things that may not be understood. I used the links that Professor Corrigan gave us, to look up what some of the things meant. These were very helpful. But even after rereading it, reading it slowly through, and reading about some of the terms I was not familiar with I still did not understand the whole poem. And even though this poem may be complicated for some reason I still seem to like it. I definitely liked reading it while I was outside. I much rather sit outside and read something then sit indoors.
In the poem State of the Planet Hass starts out his poem with what is at hand… “Rain lashing the windshield” and a schoolgirl who “Negotiates a crosswalk in the wind, her hair flying.” Then from that image he pans out; “One of the six billion of her hungry and curious kind. Inside the backpack, dog-eared, full of illustrations, A book with a title like Getting to Know Your Planet.” Hass has masterfully set the scene for a discussion of the Earth; which he then continues with in the rest of the poem…

I also did a little bit of research and read
to learn more about Robert Hass.
Robert Hass, an American poet, born in San Francisco in 1941 was well known for his West Coast subject and attitude.  His mother was an alcoholic, which was a major topic in his 1996 collection, Sun Under Wood. It was his older brother who encouraged him to dedicate himself to his writings. He received his MA and Ph.D in English from Stanford University. 



No comments:

Post a Comment