Monday, December 6, 2010

A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings


So after reading the entire story I still didn’t quite get the point of the story or grasp it. I felt there were a lot of random things that I couldn’t figure out how they connected. Like the old women telling them to beat the old man with wings to death. Or why they were killing so many crabs and had so many dead crabs in their front yard. I didn’t understand what was the point of the girl turning into a spider. And I couldn’t figure out what time frame this was suppose to be in. It would use words like pilgrims which makes me think of an earlier date but then use modern words bought a pare of pumps, and talked about airplanes… I also didn’t understand if the “angel” did or did not have a connection to the child as when it got there the child’s fever went away and they both got chicken pox at the same time…
But then after thinking about it a little bit I started to see a possible point to the story… Which may be…
How a poor couple, with an almost dying child, lives are suddenly turned around and its due to the “angel”. By the end of the story they are rich, healthy, and I guess happy. But they don’t even really recognize that their life has been changed due to this angel’s presence. It describes Elisenda as finding the “angel” a nuisance. (Maybe it was the “angels” choice to stay. He saw a poor family in need and decided to help them out…)
I guess it can be like how some people today may not even recognize the blessings in their life. Just because it’s not all glamorous looking. Or people may not notice the true impact that another person may have just because they are not some one well known, rich, or “has it all together” themselves,… It could be an old man that doesn’t have much…

No comments:

Post a Comment