Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Boys Next Door


The Boys Next Door is about four intellectually disabled men who live together in an apartment and Jack is their caring social worker who is on the verge of a career burn-out. This play describes scenes to illustrate the daily lives of Jack and his four mentally challenged housemates. Sometimes the characters speak directly to the audience but most of the time the scenes are presented in ordinary dialogue.

As I was reading I couldn’t help but laugh at certain parts. Some of the personalities/ characters have funny moments. For example pg. 8-9 when Arnold goes off about Lucien having a bunny and they just keep going back and forth getting nowhere with the topic. And then they want to hide the groceries from Jack in the tub…lol… And the same when they are at the dance and Arnold is going around telling everybody his made up story (pg. 30)… It also has scenes to portray how society takes advantage of the intellectual disable as well. Like when Arnold went to the store and ended up buying seventeen boxes of Wheeties because the store clerk told him to. This is very sad but not far from reality. You would hope that everyone would find kindness in their heart and want to help others that need it, but unfortunately this is not true. It is sad to think that people actually take advantage of others but it happens daily…

Also as I am reading I have a vivid picture of what the characters would look like and their mannerisms. This may only be because I have seen the movie before and I can vaguely remember it… Although I think by having some sort of the memory of the movie it helps me understand the play write a little more. So as I read I picture/imagine what is happening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment