Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Lake Bonny Park Field Trip

I went to Lake Bonny Park for this field trip, and I stayed there for at least 45 minutes.





I didn’t realize there was a park so close to out school. I have never been to Lake Bonny park before this field trip. I personally love being outdoors. I much rather be out side or sit out side and do my homework or read than do it inside somewhere. Natures  has never seized to put me in awe. I am always amazed by the little things. Like I love sunsets and think they are beautiful. So when I see a pretty one I try and take a picture ( although the picture does not capture the full true beauty of it) and then send it to friends that may or may not appreciate it J.



While sitting outside I also took the opportunity to go ahead and read the poems by Mary Oliver. I liked the last two poems a lot, Praying and The Uses of Sorrow. The poem Praying expressed how praying to God does not have to be this elaborate fancy worded thing. It can be simple and sincere. It isn’t about who can have the best prayer. “this isn’t a contest but the doorway into thanks…” and then is says “and a silence in which another voice may speak.” This is talking about then just listening to God…

The poem The Uses of Sorrow was not one we were required to read and discuss. But it was really short so I decided to read it and I actually really liked what it had to say. It is only four lines long.
 “someone I loved once gave me
a box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand
That this, too, was a gift.”
I think just these four lines say so much. When I read it I thought of the book A Grief Observed that we read previously in class. Of how C.S. Lewis had someone he loved passed away he then had darkness in his life but after time he then realized that the darkness he went through turned out to be a “gift”, it helped him understand his faith and understand what it was to grieve for someone. I think about how everyone has to go through some kind of darkness to then appreciate/understand the light. But it could take someone years to truly understand this

No comments:

Post a Comment