Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Grief Observed

I started reading the first chapter (of A Grief Observed) and for some reason I was kind of lost . I was not making any connection with the literature at all. It felt like I was just reading the words on the page so I could then flip the page and eventually get to the end of the chapter. Instead of continuing in this manner I decided to go back and read the introduction…After reading the introduction I had more an understanding of what this book would be about. It set me up to get into to the book and I feel I will be more connected with what the literature is trying to convey. I now have a little bit of background of the characters… It kind of painted a picture for me… and now I can begin the book, and begin at ch.1 again… (I probably would of known to read the introduction if I was an avid reader. But unfortunately I have not been such, so at least now I know that introductions to books can be helpful.)

I think everyone deals with grief in their own type of way. No matter how similar a situation no one else besides that person can fully understand the emotions and what they are going through.
Extreme Grief is not something that I have had to personally go through. Some minor things along the road but nothing major. As I have all my immediate family still living. Except my grandfather who passed away when I was a young child.
Its hard to say how I would react to a situation that has not come yet. I know I would greatly grieve for those that i love dearly. But I think I may deal with grief differently if I loose a loved one that I know is a Christian vs. a loved one that is not a Christian.

A quote from the introduction stuck out to me “… for the greater the love the greater the grief and the stronger the faith the more savagely will satan storm its fortress.”. I think this is so true.

1 comment:

  1. That makes two of us who have not been through any extreme grief. I also lost my grandfather when i was young-never really go to know him.

    ReplyDelete